Okay.. I decided to have someone for a room-mate since my house still has one room to spare. I already have a candidate and he will probably move in by the time he get his first pay check. Yeah, it’s safe to assume that he’s from my office and a fellow employee. His name is Sef, the monk guy I mentioned from the earlier post.
Anyway, I want to make a Room Mate Agreement, to avoid any silly disputes and other small misunderstandings. I want you guys to help me out, that is if you could put some comment on the list I made. I actually got the idea from Sheldon from the ‘Big Bang Theory’. I’m not really hard to get along with unlike ‘Sheldon’ but it’s probably better if we know some boundaries that we should watched out for, right?
Room Rental Agreement
This is a legally binding agreement. It is intended to promote household harmony by clarifying the
expectations and responsibilities of the homeowner or Principal Tenant (Landlords) and Tenant when
they share the same home. The term “Landlord” refers to either homeowner or Principal Tenant.
Landlord shall provide a copy of this executed document to the Tenant, as required by law
Rental Unit Located at:
Principal Tenant: Eden Von Diño
Terms Length of Agreement: Month-to-Month
Either party may cancel or change terms of this agreement upon thirty (30) days WRITTEN notice.
The notice period may be lengthened or shortened by WRITTEN agreement.
P___________, payable monthly on the ________ day of the month to_______________. Water and electric bill is not included on tenant’s payment. The Principal Tenant would be the responsible to paying the owner directly and will be responsible for organizing and keeping records of payment information.
For other utilities such as:
- Gas/Garbage: Tenant pays __________ % of monthly bill.
- Internet/Phone: Tenant pays ____________% of monthly bill plus personal long distance calls.
- Cable: Tenant pays _____________% of monthly bill.
- Other:_________________________________ Tenant pays ____________% of monthly bill.
Cleaning: The Principal Tenant and the tenant are responsible to clean their own room. The household chores for the rest of the apartment — living room, dining room, kitchen, dirty kitchen, carport and bathroom — will rotate, with each cotenant responsible for dusting, sweeping, mopping, and bathroom maintenance on a weekly basis.
Each will promptly clean up after himself in the kitchen. No one will leave dishes in the sink for more than 24 hours, and everyone will promptly clean up when asked.
If disputes continue thereafter, the housemates agree to the following methods of conflict resolution. PRINCIPAL TENANT named ________________________ will stand in the mediation and will have the last decision.
- Violations of the Agreement
- Leaving Before the Lease Ends
- Buy to let landlords – how to hang on to good tenants (premierlinedirect.co.uk)
- How to deal with difficult tenants (premierlinedirect.co.uk)
- Landlords insurance policyholders ‘seeing rise in tenant demand’ (premierlinedirect.co.uk)
- More homeowners become ‘accidental landlords’ (georgegmiller.wordpress.com)
- Rentlord: Making Rental Agreements Easy For The Landlord & Tenant [Currently UK Only] (makeuseof.com)